A Brief History of the Department of Science Education
The University of Agriculture, Makurdi was established in 1988 with its pioneer Vice Chancellor as Professor F.S. Idachaba.
In 1989, the Idachaba – led Administration saw the need to establish the Department of Agricultural and Science Education in the College of Science, Agricultural and Science Education. The aim is to produce professional graduates’ teachers to effectively teach Agricultural Science and related subjects in our secondary and post-secondary schools. The Department was thus established in November, 1989 with Head of Biology, Dr. Onyezili as the Coordinator of the Department.
In 1991, Dr. Ekoja, A.A. took over from Dr. Onyezili F.N. as the Coordinator of the Department. From December, 1991 Dr. D.O. Igwue was appointed as the first Head of Department. He therefore headed the Department from December 1991 – October 1996.
In 1996, Dr. O.N. Agbulu was appointed to take over from Dr. Igwue D.O. as the Head of Department. Dr. Agbulu served in this capacity from November 1996 – October, 2000.
From November, 2000 – October 2002, Dr. Ekoja served as the Head of Department.
In November 2002, Dr. A.O. Ochu was appointed Head of Department by the Professor James O.I. Ayatse’s Administration, Dr. A.O. Ochu served as Head of Department from November 2002 – October 2004.
In November 2004, the Vice Chancellor Professor Ayatse appointed Dr. O.N. Agbulu as Head of Department. Dr. Agbulu served from November 2004 – October 2005 after which he proceeded on his sabbatical leave.
With Dr. O.N. Agbulu’s departure on sabbatical leave, the Vice Chancellor Prof. J.O. Ayatse appointed Mr. Akpoo M.V. as the acting Head of Department with effect from 9th October 2005 for a period of 2 years.
With 7 degree programmes offered by the Department, it was operating more as a College than a Department going by its academic workload, especially as compared to other departments in the University. Thus, within the one year of Mr. M.V. Akpoo’s tenure as Head of Department, a lot of pressure and appeals were made to Senate to split College of Science, Agricultural and Science Education into two (2) colleges viz.
- College of Science to house B.Sc (Hons) degree programmes in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Science; and
- College of Agricultural and Science Education to house B.Sc (Ed) degree programmes in Biology, Chemistry, Integrated Science, Mathematics/Computer Science, Mathematics/Statistics, Physics, Statistics/Computer Science and B. Agricultural Education.
On 28th July, 2006, Senate considered the memo sent to it for this purpose by the Directorate of Academic Planning and approved the split of College of Science, Agricultural and Science Education. This vital decision of Senate was also ratified by the Governing Council of the University.
Consequently, College of Agricultural and Science Education was established and it took off on 24th August, 2006 with the following structural set up:
- Dean’s Office – headed by Dr. O.N. Agbulu
- Department of Agricultural Education – headed by Prof. A.O. Ochu
- Department of Science Education – headed by Akpoo, M.V.
- Department of Educational Foundations and General Studies
Science Education Department thus came into existence as a statutory department on 24th August, 2006 with Akpoo, M.V. as its pioneer Acting Head of Department.
On the 2nd of February, 2007 Dr. Adejoh, M. James was appointed as Ag. Head of Department and has been serving in that capacity till date.
Dr. O.N. Agbulu served as The Pioneer Dean of the College for one year after which Prof. A.A. Ekoja was elected as the Dean of the College.
The Department of Science Education therefore offers B.Sc (Ed) degree programmes in Biology, Chemistry, Integrated Science, Mathematics/Computer Science, Mathematics/Statistics, Physics and Statistics/Computer Science. All these programmes are offered from 100 – 400 Level for Remedial Science/UME Candidates and from 200 – 400 level for qualified Direct Entry Candidates only.
Headship Profile to Date in the Defunct Agricultural and Science Education Department
1 1989 – October, 1990 - Dr. Onyezili, F.N.
2. November, 1991 – November, 1991 - Dr. Ekoja, A.A.
3. December, 1991 – October, 1996 - Dr. D.O. Igwue
4. November, 1996 – October, 2000 - Dr. O.N. Agbulu
5. November, 2000 – October, 2002 - Dr. A.A. Ekoja
6. November, 2002 – October, 2004 - Dr. A.O. Ochu
7. November, 2004 – October, 2005 - Dr. O.N. Agbulu
8. 9th October 2005 – August, 2006 - Mr. Akpoo, M.V.
2.1.1 Headship Profile of the Department of Science Education to date
1. 24th August, 2006 – 1st February, 2007 - Mr. Akpoo, M.V.
2. 2nd February, 2007 – Date - Dr. M.J. Adejoh